Friday, January 30, 2015

The Best Laid Plans....

Never say never...

I had a lot of experience with RVs as a boy.

Not all good experiences...

My parents owned a 28 foot Prowler travel trailer for a while.

I hated that Prowler for simply what it did to the ride on tow car.  We had a big Buick station wagon that we used for towing.  It was always overheating, the ride with that equalizing hitch was incredibly bad.  After the Arab Embargo hit, we never took it out again.   I think Dad finally let it go for payments.

My grandparents had both a truck camper (class D?) which they wrecked shortly after getting it (it was top heavy) and 28 foot Winnebago Class A - which I totally adored.

This led me, as an adult, to a aborted attempt to own a old Crossroads Class-A (never took it anywhere - just spent money on it and finally gave up) and then a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind 30E. 

I lived in the Southwind for 2 years while working a remote location.  I would go home for most weekends and return to home-away-from-home during the week.  It was very comfortable for me.  It was sadly lost in 2013.

But during that time, I learned a lot about RVs and what I needed in them.  For example I learned that levelers are not a luxury, but a necessity.

 So I had scoped out a fifth wheel, which looked to meet our needs.  The fifth wheel is a very stable trailer and had the advantage that tow vehicle can double as a run around car.

It made imminent sense to me and the Spousal unit.  We went so far as to identify a brand and a model line for the fifth wheeler.

Then came the Pleasanton RV Show...

While we were on our way to look at the Fifth Wheelers, the female member of the team, Claire, took a side trip to look at the Motorhomes.

Every once in a while you run into an RV that sings to you.  An Itasca Suncruiser 37F started singing to Claire.  We went back and looked at it near the end of the show and it was singing louder.  We went home and talked it out - madly researched it and went back to show the next day.   It was singing in harmony, with great gusto.

We knew about what they were selling for and we set a price.  Claire opened negotiations and I excused myself and went and sat in new Airstream with a TV tuned to the football playoffs.   She called me after 1/2 a football game to sign the papers.

We are now the proud owners of a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F and are on the way to becoming Citizens of the Road.


No comments:

Post a Comment