Friday, June 4, 2021

One retirement down - one to go - the roadtrip is about to begin

 

Today I draw the curtain on a career in Computer Science that extended over 40 years. 

I started on computers that were car sized behemoths that we actually called "Minis". We programmed them using Hollerith punch cards, paper tape and the switches on the front panel.  I ended my career working on computers that didn't actually exist - virtual machines within other computers where the compute engine is smaller than one of the keys on that PDP-11/45 I spent hours happily toggling in my first job.

And that machine within a machine is located miles away accessed by this remarkable thing called the Internet.  A far cry from the from the TTY-33 over a 110 baud dial-up modem I used in college.  When we got a 300 baud Decwriter I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

And yes, the Internet.  I watched it grow from an interesting thing that a few computer people used to share messages, small files and tons of jokes, to a ubiquitous force that has changed virtually everything we do. 

It even allowed me to court my wife via email - though we worked in offices a couple of doors apart.

I've done fascinating things with computers - working with satellites, signals, commercial applications and even building new computers. 

I’ve met fascinating, capable people.  I’ve even hired incredible capable people that are still out there making a difference

All the companies I worked for were doing amazing things that I was proud to be a part of.  There was one, that I joined as a small operation, and we grew it by orders of magnitude to be the "gorilla in the marketplace".  Sadly, I also got to watch it implode down to be shadow of its former self.

It was that company that taught me that there is a big difference between a manager and a leader.  It taught me that it is not necessarily a compliment when senior management categorizes you as "excellent leader".  It also taught me that you really can't go home again.

My last company and jobs was picked by me for me.  It was a company I admired.  And much to my delight, I got to work with computers and radios.  And they even paid me to do it.  I think I would have done it for free.

 My last company also brought in the newest generation of Computer Scientists.   I stand in awe of their intelligence, knowledge and abilities.  To them I say “Ok, Kids, the torch has been passed.  Run with it”.

No comments:

Post a Comment